Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Our Palawan Adventure: Day 1 (August 13, 2012)


Last August, me and my friends went to Palawan for a 3 days, 2 nights vacation. That was my first time to be in Palawan and I really enjoyed the trip.

Palawan's Underground River Entrance
We arrived at the Puerto Princesa airport at around 9am on August 13, 2012 (Monday) via Airphil Express and we were picked up from the airport by the Go Hotel Shuttle. 
The Go Hotel is not far from the airport and we arrived not later than 30 minutes.

Go Hotel Puerto Princesa. I like this better than the one here in Mandaluyong =p

I also took the liberty of photographing the schedule of the hotel's shuttle service schedules so if in case you will be planning to check in at Go Hotel Puerto Princesa, you already have an idea =) 
Check out Go Hotels Website for further information.


After settling ourselves in, we went straight to our first itinerary - The Underground River. Let me just remind you that going to the Underground River site is not an easy one. We were picked up by a van from a travelling agency which we have arranged before our trip and we were advised that the travel time to Sabang is going to take 1 to 2 hours and it's going to be very rough and bumpy and you know what? They are right - It was really bumpy and I felt sick to my stomach after the ride. We had a quick lunch in Sabang before riding the wharf that would take us to the Underground River.

Sabang Buffet Lunch (Photo Courtesy of Nicole Cordero)
Sabang Port (waiting for the Wharf)

The island, where the Underground river is.



Monkeys in the island roam freely so we were advised to keep food, water bottles or plastic bags out of sight because most definitely, the monkeys will snatch it from you.



Took a few more shots before walking down the trail that will lead us to the Underground River.




The Trail

Hailed as one of the New Seven Wonder's of Nature, the Underground River is a sight to behold. The tour inside the Underground River lasted for about an hour. The vast and different Stalactite and Stalagmite formations inside the cave was truly magnificent! Definitely a true "Wonder of Nature."

Protective Helmet and Life Jacket -On! Ready to roll!
You will be advised not to open your mouth while inside the cave because bat droppings might fall in your mouth...Not a good plan hehehe =p

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take pictures inside the cave because I was the "light man" of our boat. 
I was the one carrying the big flashlight to light our path and to point the light to the different stalactites and stalagmites. I'm like the Tour Guide's assistant =p. The photos below are courtesy of my good friend Nicole Cordero.
Bats inside the cave. Watch out for their droppings hehehe
I think they call this the "Corn Cob"

As we exit the cave
One last shot before leaving
It was already late afternoon when we got back to the hotel and we were starving! We went to a Vietnamese restaurant, a recommendation of my friend Cecile. That was the only time I found out that there's a sprawl of Vietnamese restaurants in Palawan due to the fact that a lot of Vietnamese settled in the island when the communist took over in Vietnam.

We rode a tricycle to reach the restaurant. If I'm not mistaken, we paid Php100 (Php20 each) - one way for the fare. I think it was ok since it was a bit far from the hotel. 





I got the Beef Stew with noodles paired with French Bread with Chicken - delish!!



Before heading back to the hotel, we went to Kahlui, a famous restaurant in Puerto Princesa to make our reservations because we planned to have our next dinner there. More about Kahlui restaurant on my next post: Day 2 in Palawan. Till then ^_^

2 comments:

Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com said...

When I went to the Underground River with a good friend, we opted not to take the boat to the river. We trekked for 1 hour instead via the Monkey Trail, taking the Mangrove Tour on the way. Loved Palawan!

Ms. Atomic Bomb said...

I want to go there too. Maybe this year...with Karyll and Hazel. Hehehe